Sunday, January 17, 2010

I'm still here....

Sorry for my blog absence. I really have not had much to report.

I have been busy with corporate taxes since the first of January. Blah.

On the metalsmithing front, I have been busy learning some new techniques and working with new materials.

I have had PMC tools and materials in my supplies for some time, but I have not worked with it. I did quite a bit of research and learning about PMC a few years ago, and I finally decided what I wanted to do with the PMC that I have in my supplies – make PMC cabochons to bezel set. I have to admit that I had read in several of my sources that PMC dries out easily, but I did not realize how quickly it would dry out. I had to spritz the PMC quite a few times to keep it moist. It probably does not help that I decided to work with my PMC in the winter when our house is quite dry –even though we have two humidifiers running. I was very pleased with the three patterned cabochons that I created and will be bezel setting. I am not sure at this point if I will keeping up on this area, but it was definitely fun working with the PMC.

On the technique side, I have seen some really cool saw pierced metal pieces of jewelry created by other artists. I have to admit that before this adventure I was used to sawing just the basics. I wanted to add some new pizzazz to my jewelry with metal cut outs and some cool patterns for my cabochons to rest upon, so off I went. After some research and reading, Sam was a sawing (and of course breaking quite a few blades). So far, I am quite happy with the pieces that I have created. I am hoping to keep expanding and growing in this area.

The final area that I have been researching and learning about is etching. I decided to venture into learning about this area for the same reason as saw piercing. I have seen some really cool etched pieces of jewelry. I was leery about the chemical aspect of this technique. I really should not be leery about chemicals as I have a minor in Chemistry and have worked with far worse chemicals, but I still have a little voice in my head that says, ‘Stay away’. I use vinegar and pickling salt for my pickle instead of the acid version for this reason. Yet, I still really wanted to do etching. All of my supplies for etching arrived last week. I, unfortunately, have not found the time to do my first etching. Hopefully, I will get a chance to do this soon.

I do have a handful of pieces ready for the liver of sulfur phase of my process. Once blackened, I will polish these beauties up for my shop. I am hoping that I will get these pieces up in my shop in the next couple weeks. We shall see – sometimes, it seems that the days just slip away so quickly.

Till later!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin